Sunday, December 11, 2016

December 1 - Blood Work

December 1 - Blood Work

Levi and I were running very late this morning getting out of the house. I am not feeling well and have spent 2 days this week at home so was getting every minute of sleep I could. Jay headed to work before Levi and I were up and moving so it was just Levi and I getting out of the house. I was so tired and not feeling great I didn't even have the energy to brush Levi's hair. So he looked a little crazy.

We got to the lab and I was hoping for a nice easy and quick in and out, but that was definitely not going to be the case. We walked in and the line was crazy! I have never seen that many people at the lab at once before. And to make matters even worse P wasn't their again today! Nurse Pa was there and I know that she can do Levi pretty well so was hoping it would go well.

Levi made friends in the waiting room and we talked to a little girl named Rachel who was there getting blood work for the first time since she was 6 (she couldn't have been more then like 8). She was very cute and Levi and her hit it off, it helped make the time go faster. She was very nervous and talked about how it was going to hurt. Levi told her that you get a prize from the treasure box after.

Finally it was our time to head inside. After what seemed like forever. We got inside and Pa was ready for Levi. He picked out his band-aid and we climbed up into the chair. She found the vein and stuck him right away, but he moved and she missed the vein. He didn't cry as she was wiggling it around. She decided to make the call to pull it out and try again. Never a call we like to make, but sometimes it's necessary. Levi was in a very cuddly mood so we decided to do it backwards. We have only done it that way a few times since he was little, but sometimes it's necessary. Levi curls up in my arms for a cuddle/hug and holds his arm out behind him. Only a pretty talented phlebotomist can do this as his arm is upside down, but Pa did it like a champ! One big hug and the blood was flowing out of his arm!

Levi was off and running to the treasure box before I could even blink. He quickly picked out a prize of stickers that had planes and hot air balloons and cars. Rachel was in the other chair as we were leaving. Levi gave her a big smile and told her to be brave! She smiled!

We headed out to the fountain to play for a second and put his jacket back on. Then I realized what time it was and determined that Levi would need a donut as there was no way he was making breakfast at school (in fact it was already over!) We headed over to the cafe. Levi went running to the case and saw that there was a sprinkle donut left. He was so excited. He kept telling me "there is one left, mommy, one sprinkle donut left!" We got in line behind about 4 other people. Levi did a good job waiting, but kept telling me "there's one left Mommy" and "I want a sprinkle donut mommy!" I kept telling him yes there is but that we had to wait our turn. We were almost at the front of the line, just one lady ahead of us. She ordered her water and then ordered a sprinkle donut. I was so frustrated. I was going to have to teach Levi that sometimes you don't get what you want, or others take it. Then she turned and got down on her knee and handed the donut to Levi! She told him to be good and have a nice day! I could have cried! It was so sweet of her!
Eating his donut from "The Nice Lady!"
Here is the post I put on Facebook. It explains my feelings so much better!
"To the lady who purchased this for Levi this morning, Thank you! You saw a sick and frazzled mom who didn't even have the energy to comb her kids crazy hair this morning, who had been sitting at the lab for 45 minutes with an energetic kid, who was running crazy late because she slept until Levi woke up instead of by alarm and then the normally dead lab had a HUGE line, who was in line to buy her kid a donut at 9:40 because he had long ago missed breakfast at school; but you didn't judge any of that, you looked at him and smiled, you got down on your knees to offer him the donut after you bought it, you told him to be good and have a great day! You brought me to tears! I am not gonna lie, the thoughts going through my head when you ordered the last sprinkle donut that my kid had just been talking about in line for the last 5 minutes, bouncing up and down and saying that there was one left, well those thoughts weren't nice. I was mentally preparing for the teachable moment with Levi about how sometimes what you want is gone and then where the closest Dunkin's was to get him another donut, but I didn't have to have that teachable moment, because you gave him an even better one, the moment of kindness of strangers! So Thank you!! You put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye! 
I'm sorry that he didn't immediately say thank you, he didn't understand. You see, we get donuts more then I would like to admit after lab work, and he knows the routine, the lady who works behind the counter knows him by name now, and she knows what he wants, but she and I make him order it every time, make him say please and thank you. He knows he has to wait in line, and once you were moving out of the line he knew it was his turn, he wanted to get close to the counter, so he could order his donut. He did say thank you to you, and I saw the huge smile on your face. But I wish you could have heard what he said when we were walking to the car, once he really understood that the bag had a sprinkle donut in it and that it was for him, he said "she's nice!" and "Thank you!" with a huge smile on his face!
So Thank you! I will pay it forward! :)"

Levi's labs came in fairly early. His counts are at 264! An amazing number! We haven't seen counts this high since the middle of September! It's so nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment