Monday, September 12, 2016

September 8 - Blood Work

September 8 - Blood Work

Levi was very excited to be going to lab work today. He told me it was a P day, and I tried to remind him that it may be another lab tech, that Nurse Pa had mentioned something about another month before P was back. (At this point I will be giving her a HUGE hug when she is back!)

As we were walking in to the hospital Levi asked if he could have a donut, I told him no. He said, "OK a dunkin donut?!?!" I told him no to that as well!

We got to the lab and it was a whole new person, Nurse S. She seemed very nice, but didn't seem like she really knew how to handle kids. She did the paperwork pretty quickly. But then took FOREVER to get the blood work started. She must have put the tourniquet on and off his arm 4 times, and was generally just very slow. After about the third time of it going on and off, Levi started to get very antsy and aggravated. She looked at him and was like "what's wrong? you were fine!" I wanted to look at her and be like "He's 2, and you are taking forever! Just put the needle in his arm and be done!" Finally she stuck his arm, and totally missed the vein! Like completely, even I could tell it wasn't going to go in. She wiggled it around a bunch and Levi was SCREAMING! I haven't heard him scream like that in FOREVER!! It was awful. She pulled the needle out and his arm didn't bleed at all! A great sign of she wasn't anywhere near a vein! She looked at me with the look of "I told you we needed someone else" and I gave her the look of "he's fine it's you!"

Levi asked to go to the potty so I took him in their to calm down while she called for another nurse to help. Levi wanted to pee in the cup, but after some convincing I told him to pee in the potty. Then he asked if he could get a treasure and I said, not yet, you still haven't given your blood yet. He was very upset! understandbly! So I told him that if he set for blood work again, that we could get a donut on the way out! He seemed happy with that!

We went out of the potty and Nurse N was there! YAY. She got him on the first try the last time we had her, and she didn't disappoint this time either. Finally the blood work was done! Levi was off to the treasure box. Nurse S was like "oh he knows where it is..." I was like "yea, we are here a LOT!" He picked out a skateboard and then was looking for a surfboard too. I bent down to help him find one. Nurse S said "they are really only supposed to pick one thing!" I gave her the mother look of death! The don't even come near my kid or say a single thing to him look. I said "we do 1 per stick!" that shut her up pretty quickly!

We went over to the little cafe to get a donut! They had one sprinkle donut left and Levi asked very nicely for it! Then we were on our way to Nursery school.

Unfortunately no fax came in today. :( Seems like we are going to be fighting this fax thing as much as we fight for K to call us. Which of course she didn't do until 4:50! Thankfully his counts were great! 282! Awesome! The infusion is doing its job. Levi has a cold and his numbers are still that high! So that makes me very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment